I think you’d have to almost live in a hole if you’ve never heard of the Kentucky Derby before. My favorite horse race of the year. Actually I don’t follow horseracing much all year, but I do love the sport and I love to see who could be the next Triple Crown winner.
Some fun facts about this awesome event:
- The first race was in 1875. That would make this one the 138th!
- 10,000 people watched the Kentucky Derby its first year.
- The song that is played when the horses make their way onto the field is called “My Old Kentucky Home” and has been played since 1930 by the Louisville Marching Band.
- There has never been a winner to come from position #15.
- Secretariat holds the fastest Kentucky Derby win with a time of 1:59:40.
- The trophy is made of 56oz of 14 and 18 carat gold and is 2 feet tall.
- Only 3 fillies (female horses) have ever won the Kentucky Derby. There is a separate race held the day before the Kentucky Derby called the Kentucky Oaks, for fillies only.
Here’s the full lineup for this year’s race. I’m going to be at work all day (sad face) so I probably won’t get to see much of it. You can bet I’ll be reading the paper tomorrow though.
That is all for now. Off to a full day of work! To those of you who can watch the run for the roses today, take advantage of it. It really is the two most exciting minutes in horseracing. (: